Monday, October 26, 2009

Where did all the time go?

That's what I ask myself every day! It's certainly not used in going to the gym or out exercising on my bike or out for a run. A couple of weeks ago, instead of fighting for time in the morning, I decided to fit my exercise regimen into my daughter's schedule by doing TKD with her in the late afternoon.

This is the adults class, but kids can join in.

We just started and are lowly white belts, but we're having a great time and hopefully yellow belts will be around the corner. I sometimes go to the children's class, and I get to run around like a little kid which I enjoy. I'm racing against them - go figure, I'm always losing and have to do pushups, but hey, it's good for me, right?

Me doing a jumping race

What I really like about it is that it provides a more structured environment for my daughter. She's learning how to become tougher and to be more mature, which the teacher tells her she needs to do in order for her to become a yellow belt. I just wished I had a chance to do something like this when I was a kid - but I guess TKD didn't really catch on until the 70's. We watched my friend's son test for his blue belt - and I was amazed with the discipline and the spirit he had throughout his testing. He rocked that test! We saw them break boards, and now my daughter is excited about trying to do this, which is a requirement for your next belt. I'm not going to test until the teacher says my daughter is ready to test to keep her confidence up. Of course, I'll put up a video of my first belt test when that happens.



BTW.... a big congrats to my sis, ShirleyPerly for finishing in her iron triathlon this past weekend! Whoo hoo!

7 comments:

Petraruns said...

Love the photos and love the idea even more - well done on you both for doing this together. Fantastic work and you're both looking great doing it. It will be a great confidence booster for your daughter I'm sure - and for you!

lizzie lee said...

Long time NO SEE!! you look awesome in your jumping race...fitting our exercise regimen into our family/life's schedule is the smartest thing to do. Remove a lot of stress and guilt from you. At least it did happen to me when my kids were little.

About the 30F weather: the sun made all the difference. I can definitely say that. It is not the temperature but the sun. I raced last Sun at 43F overcast and everybody was freezing. It was way, but WAY worse than 30F / sunny.

Take care, and thanks for stopping by.... Enjoy TKD..

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

Susan said...

What an excellent way to make time for yourself! Good job!

DaveP said...

I know what you mean, the best part of Karate was going with Shirley. Breaking boards was a close second. ;-)

mrjwhit~ said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. You have a great blog here.

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I didn't know that YOU were taking TKD as well. That is awesome and a great way to spend time with Christina. I'm sure the martial arts with give both of you a lot in terms of confidence, discipline, etc. It has changed my life, for sure.

Thanks for the shout-out!!

Rainmaker said...

That looks like it's a blast and your out there enjoying it. Keep up doing different things!